the file type of krb5-1.15.1 is wrong

Prime
hi, guys,

in the page:
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/index.html#krb5-1.15

the file link:
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/krb5/1.15/krb5-1.15.1.tar.gz

it's actually a tar file but tar.gz

please check.

thx.

Re: the file type of krb5-1.15.1 is wrong

Greg Hudson
On 09/08/2017 12:30 PM, Prime wrote:
> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/krb5/1.15/krb5-1.15.1.tar.gz
>

> it's actually a tar file but tar.gz

I think that's an issue with web.mit.edu, although I'm not familiar
enough with HTTP to know immediately what the problem is.  If I fetch
that URL with wget, I receive a gzipped tar file as expected.  If I
fetch it with Chrome or Firefox, it seems to get transparently
uncompressed and lands as an uncompressed tar file without changing the
suffix.

Until recently we distributed releases as uncompressed tar files
containing a gpg signature and a compressed tar file, so we didn't have
this issue.

Re: the file type of krb5-1.15.1 is wrong

Tom Yu
Greg Hudson <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 09/08/2017 12:30 PM, Prime wrote:
>> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/krb5/1.15/krb5-1.15.1.tar.gz
>>

>> it's actually a tar file but tar.gz
>
> I think that's an issue with web.mit.edu, although I'm not familiar
> enough with HTTP to know immediately what the problem is.  If I fetch
> that URL with wget, I receive a gzipped tar file as expected.  If I
> fetch it with Chrome or Firefox, it seems to get transparently
> uncompressed and lands as an uncompressed tar file without changing the
> suffix.

It's possible that something changed in the web.mit.edu configuration to
start sending "Content-Encoding: x-gzip" for .tar.gz files where it
wasn't before.  (I could be misremembering whether it was doing so
before.)

$ curl -I 'http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/krb5/1.15/krb5-1.15.1.tar.gz'
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.8j
Last-Modified: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 16:04:09 GMT
ETag: "7f643ca-8f0f32-58b993f9"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 17:50:18 GMT
Connection: keep-alive