questions regarding localization in MIT krb

questions regarding localization in MIT krb

Will Fiveash-2
I'm looking at the localization aspect of the MIT krb build environment
and wondering how this is supposed to work for things like kinit.  When
I build kinit I do not see xgettext being run nor do I see any *.po
files in the mit-krb-build/clients/kinit/ directory.  In the Solaris
build env. commands like kinit have their source scanned by xgettext if
the make target "_msg" is given.  *.po message files are created and
later translated into different languages so the various strings output
to the user by the command will be in the language chosen by the user.
Can someone help me understand how this is working in the MIT build
env.?

Note, my git repo of MIT code is relatively current:

commit 0b3225d63f50d4e6297be5d751cae1d3368fcdb1
Author: Greg Hudson <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sun Nov 17 12:37:09 2013 -0500

    Remove dangling --with-kdc-kdb-update references

Also, I see that ENABLE_NLS is defined as 1 in autoconf.h.
And I've been looking at the localization project page:
http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Projects/Localization

--
Will Fiveash
Oracle Solaris Software Engineer

Re: questions regarding localization in MIT krb

Greg Hudson
On 01/13/2014 05:58 PM, Will Fiveash wrote:

> I'm looking at the localization aspect of the MIT krb build environment
> and wondering how this is supposed to work for things like kinit.  When
> I build kinit I do not see xgettext being run nor do I see any *.po
> files in the mit-krb-build/clients/kinit/ directory.  In the Solaris
> build env. commands like kinit have their source scanned by xgettext if
> the make target "_msg" is given.  *.po message files are created and
> later translated into different languages so the various strings output
> to the user by the command will be in the language chosen by the user.
> Can someone help me understand how this is working in the MIT build
> env.?

I think we got Will up to speed out of band, but for the record:

* In the build tree, "cd po && make update-po" will update the pot file
(located in src/po/mit-krb5.pot and checked into the repository) by
running xgettext over all of the C source files.  It requires a full
build to work, because it also runs gettext over all of the .c files
generated from com_err error tables.

* The .pot file is used as a template for .po files containing
translations.  The build system would convert these to .mo files and
install them.

* We don't ship any actual translations at this time; the infrastructure
is there for the benefit of downstream packagers.  We ship a stub
en-US.po file to make the build system work, but it contains no
translations.

Re: questions regarding localization in MIT krb

Russ Allbery-2
Greg Hudson <[hidden email]> writes:

> * We don't ship any actual translations at this time; the infrastructure
> is there for the benefit of downstream packagers.  We ship a stub
> en-US.po file to make the build system work, but it contains no
> translations.

Have you considered submitting the message catalog to the Translation
Project?

    http://translationproject.org/html/welcome.html

If you feel like it's reasonably stable, that would probably be the most
efficient way to start gathering translations.

--
Russ Allbery ([hidden email])              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 05:09:37PM -0500, Greg Hudson wrote:

>I think we got Will up to speed out of band, but for the record:
>
>* In the build tree, "cd po && make update-po" will update the pot file
>(located in src/po/mit-krb5.pot and checked into the repository) by
>running xgettext over all of the C source files.  It requires a full
>build to work, because it also runs gettext over all of the .c files
>generated from com_err error tables.
>
>* The .pot file is used as a template for .po files containing
>translations.  The build system would convert these to .mo files and
>install them.

Right and my understanding is if someone were to translate the .pot file
into different languages, those translations, in separate .po files,
would be checked in to the MIT source tree in src/po/ if the translator
wanted to contribute the translations upstream, correct?