[krbdev.mit.edu #8795] configure: chech for libncursesw, if libncurses is not found

[krbdev.mit.edu #8795] configure: chech for libncursesw, if libncurses is not found

Greg Hudson via RT-2
What platform does this problem apply to?

Ideally I'd like to use pkg-config here, but I don't think readline
provides a pkg-config file.

Alternatively, we could eliminate the -lncurses (and possibly -lhistory
since I think we don't use it directly) and just assume that the
platform has functional library dependencies and a shared libreadline.

Re: [krbdev.mit.edu #8795] configure: chech for libncursesw, if libncurses is not found

Greg Hudson via RT-2
Hello,

it is a “Linux from Scratch”.

Regards
  Дилян

On 12/04/2019 20:08, Дилян Палаузов via RT wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it is a “Linux from Scratch”.
>
> Regards
>   Дилян
>
> On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 13:03 -0400, Greg Hudson via RT wrote:
>> What platform does this problem apply to?
>>
>> Ideally I'd like to use pkg-config here, but I don't think readline
>> provides a pkg-config file.
>>
>> Alternatively, we could eliminate the -lncurses (and possibly -lhistory
>> since I think we don't use it directly) and just assume that the
>> platform has functional library dependencies and a shared libreadline.

sorry to jump in, but I think linux from scratch has libncurses.so pointing to
libncursesw.so. Exactly, they do:
for lib in ncurses form panel menu ; do
    rm -vf                    /usr/lib/lib${lib}.so
    echo "INPUT(-l${lib}w)" > /usr/lib/lib${lib}.so
    ln -sfv ${lib}w.pc        /usr/lib/pkgconfig/${lib}.pc
done
So libncurses.so is a linker script, and passing -lncurses is equivalent to
passing -lncursesw.

Now, whether krb5 configure should use a different method is another story.

Pierre Labastie

Re: [krbdev.mit.edu #8795] configure: chech for libncursesw, if libncurses is not found

Greg Hudson via RT-2

I think this statement for LFS was in the past (15 years ago) not valid.

Anyway, it does not matter which kind of system it is.  If libncursesw is available and libncurses is missing,
./configure shall be happy.

Regards
  Дилян // AEGEE Mail