[krbdev.mit.edu #3084] need more thorough testing for conditional pthread support

[krbdev.mit.edu #3084] need more thorough testing for conditional pthread support

Greg Hudson via RT
When the pthread support may or may not be linked in, either because
we're using weak symbols or because the system C library has stubs for
all the functions we use, we need to do a better job of testing for
*real* pthread support (i.e., not non-functional stubs).

Recommended approach: Test all the symbols we use (and maybe some others
we know of) for null addresses.  Try using pthread_once and see if it
works.  Only if all tests pass should we assume thread support is available.