krb5: German translation

Chris Leick
Hi,

please find attached the German translation of krb5 (version 13.2)

Kind regards,
Chris

Re: krb5: German translation

Greg Hudson
On 04/05/2016 05:44 PM, Chris Leick wrote:
> please find attached the German translation of krb5 (version 13.2)

Many thanks.  I have created https://github.com/krb5/krb5/pull/435 to
add this.  Do we have someone else in our developer community who knows
enough German to check it for serious problems?

Re: krb5: German translation

Rick van Rein (OpenFortress)
Hi Greg and Chris,

Wow, I always respect translation efforts.  Let me try to honour it by
evaluating the translation, as Greg requests.

> Do we have someone else in our developer community who knows
> enough German to check it for serious problems?

I am not a native German speaker, but am quite comfortable hearing it.
I could not have written this, however I can validate it:

* I have no problem understanding the translated text
* I generally confirm that it reads like proper German
* I did not find any security problem through misleading translations
* I cannot vouch for completeness of the translation
* I have not looked up the contexts in which these texts occur
* I checked the first 1000 lines with care, and sampled the remainder

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
 -Rick

SUGGESTION:

    msgid "\t-E client is enterprise principal name\n"
    msgstr "\t-E Client ist der Principal-Name des Unternehmens\n"

This translation says "E client is the PrincipalName of the enterprise",
which is probably not the best translation.  Wouldn't it be better to
refer to an enterprise-STYLE name?  Something like

    msgid "\t-E client is enterprise principal name\n"
    msgstr "\t-E Client ist einer Principal-Name im Enterprise-stil\n"

SUGGESTION:

    msgid "\t-i use default client keytab (with -k)\n"
    msgstr "\t-i verwendet die Standardschlüsseltabelle des Clients (mit
-k).\n"

Adds a point not in the original line; this difference occurs in more
places.

As another general point, "keytab" refers to a file, and since you write
it out instead of sticking to the term, should you not say
"Schlüsseldatei" instead of "Schlüsseltabelle"?

SUGGESTION:

    msgid "\t-T armor credential cache\n"
    msgstr "\t-T gehärteter Anmeldedatenzwischenspeicher\n"

I think "armor" is meant as a verb, not as an adjective?

SUGGESTION:

    msgid "Only one -t option allowed.\n"
    msgstr "Nur die Option -t ist erlaubt.\n"

    msgid "Only one -I option allowed\n"
    msgstr "Nur die Option -I ist erlaubt.\n"

    msgid "Only one of -a and -A allowed\n"
    msgstr "Nur -a und -A ist erlaubt.\n"

    msgid "Only one of -t and -i allowed\n"
    msgstr "Nur -t und-i ist erlaubt.\n"        (space missing)

"Nur eine Option"?  (The translation now says "only the option XXX is
allowed".)

SUGGESTION:

    msgid "When determining client principal name from keytab"
    msgstr "beim Bestimmen des Dienst-Principal-Namens anhand der
Schlüsseltabelle"

"Dienst" is "service"; should translate "client" e.g. Benutzer?

SUGGESTION:

    msgid "\t-i uses default client keytab if no name given\n"
    msgstr ""
    "\t-i verwendet die Standardschlüsseltabelle des Clients, falls kein
Name "
    "angegeben wurde.\n"

    msgid "while getting default client keytab"
    msgstr "beim Holen der Standardschlüsseltabelle des Clients"

Client is elsewhere named Benutzer.

SUGGESTION

    msgid "account %s: authorization failed\n"
    msgstr "Konto %s: Authentifizierung fehlgeschlagen\n"

Authorisation translated to authentication.  Not sure if this is proper
here.

Re: krb5: German translation

Chris Leick
Hi Rick and Greg,

Rick van Rein:

> > Do we have someone else in our developer community who knows
> > enough German to check it for serious problems?

This file was already proof-read by Helge Kreutzmann.
See https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-german/2015/04/ until
https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-german/2016/04/

> SUGGESTION:
>
>     msgid "\t-E client is enterprise principal name\n"
>     msgstr "\t-E Client ist der Principal-Name des Unternehmens\n"
>
> This translation says "E client is the PrincipalName of the enterprise",
> which is probably not the best translation.  Wouldn't it be better to
> refer to an enterprise-STYLE name?  Something like
>
>     msgid "\t-E client is enterprise principal name\n"
>     msgstr "\t-E Client ist einer Principal-Name im Enterprise-stil\n"
This would be »E client is a principal name in enterprise style«, but there's
no german explanation, what Enterprise-Stil means.

> SUGGESTION:
>
>     msgid "\t-i use default client keytab (with -k)\n"
>     msgstr "\t-i verwendet die Standardschlüsseltabelle des Clients (mit
> -k).\n"
>
> Adds a point not in the original line; this difference occurs in more
> places.
>
> As another general point, "keytab" refers to a file, and since you write
> it out instead of sticking to the term, should you not say
> "Schlüsseldatei" instead of "Schlüsseltabelle"?
No. "Schlüsseldatei" is keyfile and keyfile occurs in this translation as well,
e.g.

#: ../../src/kadmin/dbutil/kdb5_util.c:80
#, c-format
msgid ""
"Usage: kdb5_util [-x db_args]* [-r realm] [-d dbname] [-k mkeytype] [-M "
"mkeyname]\n"
"\t        [-kv mkeyVNO] [-sf stashfilename] [-m] cmd [cmd_options]\n"
"\tcreate  [-s]\n"
"\tdestroy [-f]\n"
"\tstash   [-f keyfile]\n"

> SUGGESTION:
>
>     msgid "\t-T armor credential cache\n"
>     msgstr "\t-T gehärteter Anmeldedatenzwischenspeicher\n"
>
> I think "armor" is meant as a verb, not as an adjective?

If this is a  verb, you can change it to
msgstr "\t-T Anmeldedatenzwischenspeicher härten\n"

> SUGGESTION:
>
>     msgid "Only one -t option allowed.\n"
>     msgstr "Nur die Option -t ist erlaubt.\n"

Nur eine -t-Option ist erlaubt.\n

>     msgid "Only one -I option allowed\n"
>     msgstr "Nur die Option -I ist erlaubt.\n"

Nur eine -l-Option ist erlaubt.\n

>     msgid "Only one of -a and -A allowed\n"
>     msgstr "Nur -a und -A ist erlaubt.\n"

Nur -a oder -A ist erlaubt.\n

>     msgid "Only one of -t and -i allowed\n"
>     msgstr "Nur -t und-i ist erlaubt.\n"        (space missing)

Nur -t oder -i ist erlaubt.\n

> SUGGESTION:
>
>     msgid "When determining client principal name from keytab"
>     msgstr "beim Bestimmen des Dienst-Principal-Namens anhand der
> Schlüsseltabelle"
>
> "Dienst" is "service"; should translate "client" e.g. Benutzer?

No, Client is correct, Benutzer is user.
msgstr "beim Bestimmen des Client-Principal-Namens anhand der
Schlüsseltabelle"

> SUGGESTION
>
>     msgid "account %s: authorization failed\n"
>     msgstr "Konto %s: Authentifizierung fehlgeschlagen\n"
>
> Authorisation translated to authentication.  Not sure if this is proper
> here.

Ok.
Konto %s: Autorisierung fehlgeschlagen\n

I've attached a patch.

Kind regards,
Chris

de.po.diff (2K) Download Attachment

Re: krb5: German translation

Rick van Rein (OpenFortress)
Great work Chris,

And of course I will not argue, as a non-native speaker, with the
subjective suggestions you've rejected!

-Rick

Re: krb5: German translation

Mark Pröhl

Re: krb5: German translation

Chris Leick
Hi Mark,

Mark Pröhl:
> Rick van Rein wrote:

> > msgid "\t-T armor credential cache\n" msgstr "\t-T gehärteter
> > Anmeldedatenzwischenspeicher\n"
> >
> > I think "armor" is meant as a verb, not as an adjective?
>
> An armor cache is an credential cache that provides an additional
> security layer to Kerberos exchanges on the network (AS-REQ/AS-REP),
> right?
>
> "gehärteter Anmeldedatenzwischenspeicher" would translate to "hardened
> credential cache", i.e. a ccache with some additional security layer.
> I think that would be misleading.

What is your suggestion?

Chris

Re: krb5: German translation

Mark Pröhl

Re: krb5: German translation

Tom Yu
My German is very rusty, so corrections from native speakers are most
welcome.

    #: ../../src/clients/kdestroy/kdestroy.c:140
    msgid "composing ccache name"
    msgstr "Ccache-Name wird zusammengesetzt."

The context in the source code makes it clear that this is intended to
be "while composing ccache name", so I think the verb tense of the
translation is wrong.  (The "while" might have been omitted for brevity.
We should probably correct the source.)

Suggestion:

    #: ../../src/clients/kdestroy/kdestroy.c:140
    msgid "composing ccache name"
    msgstr "beim Zusammensetzen des Ccache-Namens"