krb-wg interim meeting in September 2005

krb-wg interim meeting in September 2005

Larry Zhu
At Minneapolis, a few active participants expressed strong interests in
having interim working group meeting given the amount of workload this
working group needs to finish.

JK and I would like to host such a meeting at Redmond in the week of
9/19-9/23. Any body who can attend is welcome to do interop tests with
our LH release since we will also organize an interop event at the same
week.

At similar events in the past, we were able to pin down and addressed
issues that are hard to track down when we have developers from both
sides sitting in the same room.

As requested by the chair Jeff, I want to get a poll whether you can
attend this event or if not, what time would work better for you.

Please send your response to Jeff, JK and me, and I will compile and
post the results.

Thanks,

-- Larry

Re: krb-wg interim meeting in September 2005

Jeffrey Hutzelman
On Monday, June 06, 2005 11:01:15 AM -0700 "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As requested by the chair Jeff, I want to get a poll whether you can
> attend this event or if not, what time would work better for you.

Note that this is not a done deal.  Discussions as to whether we need such
a meeting and what work would get done there are very much on-topic.  I'd
ask folks to please hold such discussion on the list, rather than in
private mail.

-- Jeff

Re: krb-wg interim meeting in September 2005

Jeffrey Hutzelman

On Monday, June 06, 2005 02:11:57 PM -0400 Jeffrey Hutzelman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday, June 06, 2005 11:01:15 AM -0700 "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As requested by the chair Jeff, I want to get a poll whether you can
>> attend this event or if not, what time would work better for you.
>

> Note that this is not a done deal.  Discussions as to whether we need
> such a meeting and what work would get done there are very much on-topic.
> I'd ask folks to please hold such discussion on the list, rather than in
> private mail.

I haven't seen any discussion or comments, nor have I gotten anything in
private mail.  No comments is not a very good basis on which to plan an
interim meeting...

-- Jeff

Re: krb-wg interim meeting in September 2005

Kenneth G Raeburn
On Jun 10, 2005, at 19:10, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> On Monday, June 06, 2005 02:11:57 PM -0400 Jeffrey Hutzelman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Note that this is not a done deal.  Discussions as to whether we need
>> such a meeting and what work would get done there are very much
>> on-topic.
>> I'd ask folks to please hold such discussion on the list, rather than
>> in
>> private mail.
> I haven't seen any discussion or comments, nor have I gotten anything
> in private mail.  No comments is not a very good basis on which to
> plan an interim meeting...

Seems kind of odd to be planning an interim meeting three months out
while we're still a bit over a month away from IETF 63.  If there's
stuff that needs to be worked out in person, perhaps we can do it at
the regularly scheduled conference?  If there's too much stuff to do
during that week -- WG meetings, plus hallway/bar time for design teams
-- *then* maybe an interim meeting makes sense.  (See also Jeff's plea
for scheduling technical discussions and not presentations for the WG
meeting.)

Ken

Re: krb-wg interim meeting in September 2005

Sam Hartman-5
I think I and the MIT folks can probably attend this meeting.

I'd like to propose the following agenda and I think people may see why it would not fit well into IETF 63:

I'd like to schedule the necessary work to get a test matrix together
to advance RFC 3961, 3962, 4120 and 4121 to draft standard.  (The last
two are clarifications and CFX--CFX probably can't advance right now
because of GSS base and 1964).

I believe that doing this work in the context of an WG meeting would
be appropriate.  I believe the work needs to get done.

I also think having this along side a dedicated large chunk of time
where we could actually test to see if we all meet the test matrix
would be wonderful.

--Sam

RE: krb-wg interim meeting in September 2005

Larry Zhu
For planning purposes and in order to have successful meeting, we would
like to pin down the meeting agenda and schedule 3 months before the
meeting.

Thanks for your support Sam, and thanks others for thinking ahead of
time.

-- Larry

Sam Hartman wrote:

> I think I and the MIT folks can probably attend this meeting.
>
> I'd like to propose the following agenda and I think people may see why it would not fit well into IETF 63:
>
> I'd like to schedule the necessary work to get a test matrix together
> to advance RFC 3961, 3962, 4120 and 4121 to draft standard.  (The last
> two are clarifications and CFX--CFX probably can't advance right now
> because of GSS base and 1964).
>
> I believe that doing this work in the context of an WG meeting would
> be appropriate.  I believe the work needs to get done.
>

> I also think having this along side a dedicated large chunk of time
> where we could actually test to see if we all meet the test matrix
> would be wonderful.
>
> --Sam
Sam and Larry:

I think this is a perfect justification for holding an interim meeting.
I plan to attend.

Re: krb-wg interim meeting in September 2005

Love Hörnquist Åstrand

Jeffrey Altman <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I'd like to schedule the necessary work to get a test matrix together
>> to advance RFC 3961, 3962, 4120 and 4121 to draft standard.  (The last
>> two are clarifications and CFX--CFX probably can't advance right now
>> because of GSS base and 1964).
>>
>> I believe that doing this work in the context of an WG meeting would
>> be appropriate.  I believe the work needs to get done.
>>

>> I also think having this along side a dedicated large chunk of time
>> where we could actually test to see if we all meet the test matrix
>> would be wonderful.
>>
>> --Sam
>
> Sam and Larry:
>
> I think this is a perfect justification for holding an interim meeting.
> I plan to attend.
Having a interim meeting for this seems like a fine idea.

Love

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Love Hörnquist Åstrand wrote:

> Jeffrey Altman <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> >> I'd like to schedule the necessary work to get a test matrix together
> >> to advance RFC 3961, 3962, 4120 and 4121 to draft standard.  (The last
> >> two are clarifications and CFX--CFX probably can't advance right now
> >> because of GSS base and 1964).
> >>
> >> I believe that doing this work in the context of an WG meeting would
> >> be appropriate.  I believe the work needs to get done.
> >>

> >> I also think having this along side a dedicated large chunk of time
> >> where we could actually test to see if we all meet the test matrix
> >> would be wonderful.
> >>
> >> --Sam
> >
> > Sam and Larry:
> >
> > I think this is a perfect justification for holding an interim meeting.
> > I plan to attend.
>
> Having a interim meeting for this seems like a fine idea.

Based on these comments, I've asked to schedule an interim meeting for
September 19-20, 2005 at Microsoft.  The agenda will focus primarily on
preparations for advancing the documents we've just completed to draft
standard.  Depending on what happens in Paris, we may end up deciding we
need to spend some time on kerberos-extensions as well.  I expect we
should have agreement on the exact agenda for this meeting by shortly
after the Paris meeting.

My understanding is that Microsoft will be setting aside some time later
in the week to facilitate interoperability testing based on a test martrix
expected to be developed during the interim meeting.

-- Jeff