kpropd fails on multihomed KDCs set up according to FAQ

kpropd fails on multihomed KDCs set up according to FAQ

Michael Marziani
I have scoured the internet for information on this error and found what should
be the answer in the Kerberos FAQ, only it still isn't working.

I'm running from kdc1:

/usr/krb5/sbin/kdb5_util dump /usr/krb5/lib/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans

then:

/usr/krb5/sbin/kprop -f /usr/krb5/lib/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans kdc2.mydomain.com

The error is:

/usr/krb5/sbin/kprop: Server rejected authentication (during sendauth exchange)
while authenticating to server
/usr/krb5/sbin/kprop: Incorrect net address signalled from server
Error text from server: Incorrect net address

I configured my DNS with the multi-homed hosts in mind as directed by Subject
2.14 of the Kerberos FAQ v2.0, using the "multiple address records per host"
scheme that the author recommends.  Output of the 'dig' command on both kdc1
and kdc2 shows all 3 addresses for each host pointing to the same hostname:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
kdc1.mydomain.com.  1D IN A  10.1.1.98
kdc1.mydomain.com.  1D IN A  10.1.1.99
kdc1.mydomain.com.  1D IN A  10.1.1.101

;; ANSWER SECTION:
kdc2.mydomain.com.  1D IN A  10.1.1.102
kdc2.mydomain.com.  1D IN A  10.1.1.103
kdc2.mydomain.com.  1D IN A  10.1.1.104

The reverse lookup records are all there as well and 'dig' confirms each one
matches the above forward lookup entries.

I'm using Solaris 9.  I know that I've confined the problem to the multihoming
because if I remove multihoming on kdc1 and re-try the replication, it works
fine.  Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?.

Thanks and best regards,

-Michael

Re: kpropd fails on multihomed KDCs set up according to FAQ

Kenneth G Raeburn
On Jun 24, 2005, at 16:27, Michael Marziani wrote:
> I'm using Solaris 9.  I know that I've confined the problem to the
> multihoming
> because if I remove multihoming on kdc1 and re-try the replication, it
> works
> fine.  Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?.

I believe it's a kprop bug, not a problem in how you've set up your
system.  (Yes, kprop, not kpropd; the kprop side puts addresses into a
message to be sent, and the server side correctly notices that the
sender address included is not the address the sender is actually
using, and rejects it.)

Ken

Re: kpropd fails on multihomed KDCs set up according to FAQ

Ken Hornstein
>/usr/krb5/sbin/kprop: Server rejected authentication (during sendauth exchange)
>while authenticating to server
>/usr/krb5/sbin/kprop: Incorrect net address signalled from server
>Error text from server: Incorrect net address

Hm.  DNS really shouldn't affect things in this way (usually the problem
lies with resolving hostnames for the service principal name).

Based on these error messages, the server is rejecting the AP_REQ that
the client sends to it, based on the IP address in it.  The IP address(es)
in the AP_REQ come from the IP addresses that the client detects that
the host has (the client walks the interface list and for every interface
it finds, it adds it to the AP_REQ).

It seems to me that however you're doing multihoming, the Kerberos
client code isn't detecting the additional interfaces correctly.  Are
these "real" additional interfaces, or are they aliases or virtual
interfaces?  If they're aliases, then I would guess that's the
problem.  That's probably a bug ... but if that's the problem, I'd ask
why you're doing multihoming that way, because if they're on the same
network, you won't gain any reliability (IMHO).

--Ken

Re: kprop fails on multihomed KDCs set up according to FAQ (solved)

Michael Marziani
Many thanks to the people that helped me with this.

After a few dead ends I decided to just compile the MIT code on my Solaris 9
box and see if the kprop included with that would work.  Turns out it worked
just fine, and communicated with the Sun SEAM KDCs with no problems.  I'm not
sure at what point Sun forked MIT's code but it's happy now and I really
appreciate the quick response by the people on this list.

I'm going to stick around and see what help I may be to other users.

Thanks again,

-Michael

--- Ken Hornstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >/usr/krb5/sbin/kprop: Server rejected authentication (during sendauth
> exchange)
> >while authenticating to server
> >/usr/krb5/sbin/kprop: Incorrect net address signalled from server
> >Error text from server: Incorrect net address
>
> Hm.  DNS really shouldn't affect things in this way (usually the problem
> lies with resolving hostnames for the service principal name).
>
> Based on these error messages, the server is rejecting the AP_REQ that
> the client sends to it, based on the IP address in it.  The IP address(es)
> in the AP_REQ come from the IP addresses that the client detects that
> the host has (the client walks the interface list and for every interface
> it finds, it adds it to the AP_REQ).
>
> It seems to me that however you're doing multihoming, the Kerberos
> client code isn't detecting the additional interfaces correctly.  Are
> these "real" additional interfaces, or are they aliases or virtual
> interfaces?  If they're aliases, then I would guess that's the
> problem.  That's probably a bug ... but if that's the problem, I'd ask
> why you're doing multihoming that way, because if they're on the same
> network, you won't gain any reliability (IMHO).
>
> --Ken

Re: kprop fails on multihomed KDCs set up according to FAQ (solved)

Will Fiveash
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 12:06:20PM -0700, Michael Marziani wrote:
> Many thanks to the people that helped me with this.
>
> After a few dead ends I decided to just compile the MIT code on my Solaris 9
> box and see if the kprop included with that would work.  Turns out it worked
> just fine, and communicated with the Sun SEAM KDCs with no problems.  I'm not
> sure at what point Sun forked MIT's code but it's happy now and I really
> appreciate the quick response by the people on this list.

If you want this problem fixed in the bundled Solaris 9 kprop you should
open a bug.  Note that in Solaris 10 we added a number of enhancements
to the bundled Kerberos which may be more to your liking.  You can read
more about this in the online Solaris System Admin Guide: Security
Services:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4557/6maosrjkf?q=kerberos&a=view

(look for the Kerberos Enhancements in the Solaris 10 Release section)

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems Inc.