[kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis-03.txt

[kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis-03.txt

Internet-Drafts

This draft is a work item of the Common Authentication Technology Next Generation of the IETF.

        Title           : Generic Security Service API Version 2: Java Bindings Update
        Authors         : Mayank D. Upadhyay
                          Seema Malkani
                          Wang Weijun
        Filename        : draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis-03.txt
        Pages           : 96
        Date            : 2016-04-06

Abstract:
   The Generic Security Services Application Program Interface (GSS-API)
   offers application programmers uniform access to security services
   atop a variety of underlying cryptographic mechanisms.  This document
   updates the Java bindings for the GSS-API that are specified in
   "Generic Security Service API Version 2 : Java Bindings Update" (RFC
   5653).  This document obsoletes RFC 5653 by adding a new output token
   field to the GSSException class so that when the initSecContext or
   acceptSecContext methods of the GSSContext class fails it has a
   chance to emit an error token which can be sent to the peer for
   debugging or informational purpose.  The stream-based GSSContext
   methods are also removed in this version.

   The GSS-API is described at a language-independent conceptual level
   in "Generic Security Service Application Program Interface Version 2,
   Update 1" (RFC 2743).  The GSS-API allows a caller application to
   authenticate a principal identity, to delegate rights to a peer, and
   to apply security services such as confidentiality and integrity on a
   per-message basis.  Examples of security mechanisms defined for GSS-
   API are "The Simple Public-Key GSS-API Mechanism" (RFC 2025) and "The
   Kerberos Version 5 Generic Security Service Application Program
   Interface (GSS-API) Mechanism: Version 2" (RFC 4121).

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis/

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis-03

https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis-03

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Re: [kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis-03.txt

Greg Hudson
I have looked at the diff, and I think removing the stream methods is a
reasonable path forward given the problems they present.

I have two editorial nits:

* In section 1, "This document and its predecessor" should be "This
document and its predecessors" given the subsequent change.

* In section 11, "This document has following changes" should be "This
document has the following changes".

Aside from those minor issues, everything looks okay.  I only looked at
the diffs, so if there is material about the stream methods in RFC 5653
which should be removed or edited but wasn't, I wouldn't have noticed.