[kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-10.txt

[kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-10.txt

Internet-Drafts

This draft is a work item of the Common Authentication Technology Next Generation of the IETF.

        Title           : AES Encryption with HMAC-SHA2 for Kerberos 5
        Authors         : Michael J. Jenkins
                          Michael A. Peck
                          Kelley W. Burgin
        Filename        : draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-10.txt
        Pages           : 17
        Date            : 2016-07-05

Abstract:
   This document specifies two encryption types and two corresponding
   checksum types for Kerberos 5.  The new types use AES in CTS mode
   (CBC mode with ciphertext stealing) for confidentiality and HMAC with
   a SHA-2 hash for integrity.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2/

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-10

https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-10

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Re: [kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-10.txt

Michael Jenkins
The new draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2 includes changes for all of Ben's comments. As for the KDF, we looked at both simply inserting a 0x00 between the "prf" and the octet string (leaving the extra 0x00 before the length bits intact), and fixing the KDF so that the prf was computed the same way as any other KDF. So in the end we decided that the cleanest and least likely to confuse option was to fix the KDF definition in Section 3 by adding an optional context field.

Mike J

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 2:00 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Mike Jenkins
[hidden email] - if you want me to read it only at my desk
[hidden email] - to read everywhere

Re: [kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-10.txt

Luke Howard
Updated aes-cts-hmac-sha2 branch of Heimdal.

On 6 Jul 2016, at 5:55 AM, Michael Jenkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

www.lukehoward.com
soundcloud.com/lukehoward

Re: [kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-10.txt

Greg Hudson
On 07/05/2016 07:55 PM, Luke Howard wrote:
> Updated aes-cts-hmac-sha2 branch of Heimdal.

I also updated my Python and MIT krb5 implementations, and verified the
new PRF test vectors.

https://github.com/greghudson/pyk5/tree/aes-sha2
https://github.com/greghudson/krb5/tree/aes-sha2

(As before, there is no guarantee of commit stability for either of
these branches, and they may disappear entirely after being merged into
the relevant master branches.)

Re: [kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-10.txt

The changes look good, thanks for putting them together so quickly.

Also thanks to Luke and Greg for updating implementations and re-verifying
test vectors.

-Ben