[kitten] Call for adoption on draft-whited-kitten-password-storage

[kitten] Call for adoption on draft-whited-kitten-password-storage

Robbie Harwood
We've had some discussion about this in the "I-D: Best practices for
password hashing and storage", so here's a formal call.  We are, to be
clear, discussing this document:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-whited-kitten-password-storage/

Beyond Sam, I believe there is expressed interest from Simon and Dave,
as well as potentially the XMPP Standards Foundation.

Thanks,
--Robbie

Re: [kitten] Call for adoption on draft-whited-kitten-password-storage

Dave Cridland

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 20:15, Robbie Harwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
We've had some discussion about this in the "I-D: Best practices for
password hashing and storage", so here's a formal call.  We are, to be
clear, discussing this document:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-whited-kitten-password-storage/

Beyond Sam, I believe there is expressed interest from Simon and Dave,
as well as potentially the XMPP Standards Foundation.

To affirm, yes I'm personally interested in working on this. I'll try to bring people over from the XSF on this one as well.

Thanks,
--Robbie

Re: [kitten] Call for adoption on draft-whited-kitten-password-storage

Alexey Melnikov

On 12/05/2020 20:14, Robbie Harwood wrote:

> We've had some discussion about this in the "I-D: Best practices for
> password hashing and storage", so here's a formal call.  We are, to be
> clear, discussing this document:
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-whited-kitten-password-storage/
>
> Beyond Sam, I believe there is expressed interest from Simon and Dave,
> as well as potentially the XMPP Standards Foundation.

I support adoption of this draft by KITTEN.

Best Regards,

Alexey

Robbie Harwood <[hidden email]> writes:

> We've had some discussion about this in the "I-D: Best practices for
> password hashing and storage", so here's a formal call.  We are, to be
> clear, discussing this document:
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-whited-kitten-password-storage/
>
> Beyond Sam, I believe there is expressed interest from Simon and Dave,
> as well as potentially the XMPP Standards Foundation.

kitten has now adopted this document.  As a reminder, the name going
forward should be something like draft-ietf-kitten-password-storage or
so.

Thanks,
--Robbie

Re: [kitten] Call for adoption on draft-whited-kitten-password-storage

Sam Whited
Thanks! Does the source code hosting need to change now that the WG has
adopted it (I know TLS has their own GitHub organization, I don't know
if KITTEN does something similar) and should I reset the version number
to 00 when we publish the next one, or just change it to draft-ietf- and
continue to increment the version number from where it is now?

--
Sam Whited

Re: [kitten] Call for adoption on draft-whited-kitten-password-storage

Benjamin Kaduk-2
On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 03:34:27PM -0400, Sam Whited wrote:
> Thanks! Does the source code hosting need to change now that the WG has
> adopted it (I know TLS has their own GitHub organization, I don't know
> if KITTEN does something similar) and should I reset the version number

KITTEN does have https://github.com/kittenwg though strictly speaking the
hosting does not *need* to change.

> to 00 when we publish the next one, or just change it to draft-ietf- and
> continue to increment the version number from where it is now?

Yes, start as a draft-ietf-kitten-...-00 again.

Thanks,

Ben

Benjamin Kaduk <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 03:34:27PM -0400, Sam Whited wrote:
>
>> Thanks! Does the source code hosting need to change now that the WG
>> has adopted it (I know TLS has their own GitHub organization, I don't
>> know if KITTEN does something similar) and should I reset the version
>> number
>
> KITTEN does have https://github.com/kittenwg though strictly speaking the
> hosting does not *need* to change.

As I've learned to do from previous chairs, this has been used mostly
for review tracking.  So for instance, this document has corresponding
repo https://github.com/kittenwg/password-storage

I wouldn't be opposed to making it also hold the working state of the
XML [1], but as Ben says, you don't have to change it.

Thanks,
--Robbie

1: If you *do* want it to hold the XML, poke me off-list and I'll set it
   up.

On Tue, May 19, 2020, at 16:57, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> As I've learned to do from previous chairs, this has been used mostly
> for review tracking.  So for instance, this document has corresponding
> repo https://github.com/kittenwg/password-storage

Oh nifty, I didn't realize that this existed. As long as it doesn't
hinder anyone else from contributing, I'm happy to leave the XML where
it is then. People can always send me patches directly if they want me
to apply them before releasing a new version.

Thanks again for all your help.

As always, if anyone has reviews or suggestions for the next version I'd
love to hear them.

—Sam

--
Sam Whited

"Sam Whited" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, May 19, 2020, at 16:57, Robbie Harwood wrote:
>> As I've learned to do from previous chairs, this has been used mostly
>> for review tracking.  So for instance, this document has corresponding
>> repo https://github.com/kittenwg/password-storage
>
> Oh nifty, I didn't realize that this existed. As long as it doesn't
> hinder anyone else from contributing, I'm happy to leave the XML where
> it is then. People can always send me patches directly if they want me
> to apply them before releasing a new version.

Yeah, it's fine where it is.  The idea here is that review/discussion
happens in a public place - i.e., on this mailing list - and therefore
it doesn't matter where the "development" version of the text lives
since we're more concerned with the published, versioned edition.

Thanks,
--Robbie