draft-ietf-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt

Jeffrey Hutzelman
> directories.
>

> Title : ECC Support for PKINIT
> Author(s) : L. Zhu, et al.
> Filename : draft-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt
> Pages : 11
> Date : 2005-9-14
>
>    This document describes the use of Elliptic Curve certificates,
>    Elliptic Curve signature schemes and Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman
>    (ECDH) key agreement within the framework of PKINIT - the Kerberos
>    Version 5 extension that provides for the use of public key
>    cryptography.

Are people interested in adopting this as a work item of this WG?

-- Jeff

RE: draft-ietf-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt

Larry Zhu
Some of you asked for this:

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt

>    This document describes the use of Elliptic Curve certificates,
>    Elliptic Curve signature schemes and Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman
>    (ECDH) key agreement within the framework of PKINIT - the Kerberos
>    Version 5 extension that provides for the use of public key
>    cryptography.

Are people interested in adopting this as a work item of this WG?

-- Jeff

Re: draft-ietf-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt

Sam Hartman-5

    >> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
    >> Internet-Drafts directories.
    >>
    >>
    >> Title : ECC Support for PKINIT Author(s) : L. Zhu, et al.
    >> Filename : draft-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt Pages : 11 Date :
    >> 2005-9-14
    >>
    >> This document describes the use of Elliptic Curve certificates,
    >> Elliptic Curve signature schemes and Elliptic Curve
    >> Diffie-Hellman (ECDH) key agreement within the framework of
    >> PKINIT - the Kerberos Version 5 extension that provides for the
    >> use of public key cryptography.

    Jeffrey> Are people interested in adopting this as a work item of
    Jeffrey> this WG?

Speaking as an AD, here is my recommendation for deciding this
question.

You have three options:

1) You can adopt the draft.  You should do this if you believe people
   within the working group can improve the draft or provide quality
   review to the draft.  You need not do this if you believe the draft
   is of sufficient quality that it needs no work.

2) You can pass on the draft and let Larry know he is free to ask me
    to publish as an individual submission.  You should do this if you
    believe you don't have the skill set to review the draft.  You
    might want to do this if you believe that the draft is in
    sufficiently good shape that you don't need to review it.  If
    Larry asks me to publish as and individual I will get appropriate
    PKI review for the draft.

3) You can claim that the work item is within your charter but you do
    not want it to proceed within the IETF.  You would need a
    convincing argument for this.  So far I have seen no such
    argument.

--Sam

Re: draft-ietf-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt

Nicolas Williams

I am.

Re: draft-ietf-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt

Jeffrey Hutzelman

On Friday, September 16, 2005 02:14:52 PM -0400 Sam Hartman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 3) You can claim that the work item is within your charter but you do
>     not want it to proceed within the IETF.  You would need a
>     convincing argument for this.  So far I have seen no such
>     argument.

Nor have I.

If the working group chooses not to adopt this item, then barring a very
convincing argument why the work should not proceed in the IETF, I will
encourage Larry to bring it to you as an individual submission.

-- Jeff

RE: draft-ietf-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt

Larry Zhu
Out of the 3 choices Sam described, which one you would choose and why?

Thanks,

-- Larry