.conf file in includedir

Weijun Wang
I've just noticed some change in krb5.conf's includedir directive [1]:

    "Including a directory includes all files within the directory whose
names consist solely of alphanumeric characters, dashes, or underscores.
Starting in release 1.15, files with names ending in ”.conf” are also
included."

My understanding of the old rule is to exclude OS-generated files like
.DS_Store and desktop.ini, but is it safe to include all ".conf" files?
At least I've heard that if you let a macOS access your non-Apple file
system, it will likely to create a ._krb5.conf file beside your existing
krb5.conf file.

Thanks
Max

[1]
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-devel/doc/admin/conf_files/krb5_conf.html

Re: .conf file in includedir

Greg Hudson
On 03/21/2017 11:19 AM, Weijun Wang wrote:

>     "Including a directory includes all files within the directory whose
> names consist solely of alphanumeric characters, dashes, or underscores.
> Starting in release 1.15, files with names ending in ”.conf” are also
> included."
>
> My understanding of the old rule is to exclude OS-generated files like
> .DS_Store and desktop.ini, but is it safe to include all ".conf" files?
> At least I've heard that if you let a macOS access your non-Apple file
> system, it will likely to create a ._krb5.conf file beside your existing
> krb5.conf file.

We had mainly been concerned with package system artifacts such as
.rpmsave files.  However, editors and filesystems are also a possible
source of unintended duplicates.  I think it might be good to ignore
filenames beginning with ".", as these prefix-form name variants tend to
begin with "." so that they don't show up in ordinary directory listings.

Re: .conf file in includedir

Robbie Harwood
Greg Hudson <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 03/21/2017 11:19 AM, Weijun Wang wrote:
>
>>     "Including a directory includes all files within the directory
>> whose names consist solely of alphanumeric characters, dashes, or
>> underscores.  Starting in release 1.15, files with names ending in
>> ”.conf” are also included."
>>
>> My understanding of the old rule is to exclude OS-generated files
>> like .DS_Store and desktop.ini, but is it safe to include all ".conf"
>> files?  At least I've heard that if you let a macOS access your
>> non-Apple file system, it will likely to create a ._krb5.conf file
>> beside your existing krb5.conf file.
>
> We had mainly been concerned with package system artifacts such as
> .rpmsave files.  However, editors and filesystems are also a possible
> source of unintended duplicates.  I think it might be good to ignore
> filenames beginning with ".", as these prefix-form name variants tend
> to begin with "." so that they don't show up in ordinary directory
> listings.
This seems reasonable to me as well; I think the behavior of including
dotfiles is unexpected.