Why is kcpytkt not shipped in a normal installation?

Why is kcpytkt not shipped in a normal installation?

Daniel Peebles
Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong mailing list but my question seemed more
developer-oriented so I figured I'd ask here.

I noticed that there's a useful kcpytkt command in the source distribution
but a standard build (and the various distro packages) doesn't seem to
produce it in the destination. I can patch my makefile to add the tool but
am wondering if it was a deliberate omission or just something that was
dropped accidentally and forgotten.

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Why is kcpytkt not shipped in a normal installation?

Greg Hudson
On 3/6/19 8:41 AM, Daniel Peebles wrote:
> I noticed that there's a useful kcpytkt command in the source distribution
> but a standard build (and the various distro packages) doesn't seem to
> produce it in the destination. I can patch my makefile to add the tool but
> am wondering if it was a deliberate omission or just something that was
> dropped accidentally and forgotten.

kcpytkt and kdeltkt were added in late 2004, before my involvement in
the project.  From the version control history, it looks like it might
have been intended to add these commands to the install for Unix-like
platforms, but configure.in was not modified to generate their
makefiles, so the build system skips them during "make all" and "make
install".

The release notes for krb5 1.4 do say "New client commands kcpytkt and
kdeltkt for Windows," which acknowledges that they are only present in
KfW and not in the Unix build, but I haven't found any other discussion,
and no one appears to have commented much about these commands in the
intervening 15 years.

Can you describe your use case for kcpytkt?

Re: Why is kcpytkt not shipped in a normal installation?

Daniel Peebles
Thanks for the history!

For various obscure domain-specific reasons I won't go into, I need to ship
service-specific tickets to a semi-trusted machine that doesn't (and
shouldn't) have the TGT, so I use kvno to acquire a service ticket and then
kcpytkt to get it out of my ccache and ship it over to the other machine.
I'll admit it's probably a pretty unusual use case but I imagine that more
generally folks might want to copy tickets between caches (and probably
delete them too).

Would you accept a patch to revive their makefile machinery?

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM Greg Hudson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/6/19 8:41 AM, Daniel Peebles wrote:
> > I noticed that there's a useful kcpytkt command in the source
> distribution
> > but a standard build (and the various distro packages) doesn't seem to
> > produce it in the destination. I can patch my makefile to add the tool
> but
> > am wondering if it was a deliberate omission or just something that was
> > dropped accidentally and forgotten.
>
> kcpytkt and kdeltkt were added in late 2004, before my involvement in
> the project.  From the version control history, it looks like it might
> have been intended to add these commands to the install for Unix-like
> platforms, but configure.in was not modified to generate their
> makefiles, so the build system skips them during "make all" and "make
> install".
>
> The release notes for krb5 1.4 do say "New client commands kcpytkt and
> kdeltkt for Windows," which acknowledges that they are only present in
> KfW and not in the Unix build, but I haven't found any other discussion,
> and no one appears to have commented much about these commands in the
> intervening 15 years.
>
> Can you describe your use case for kcpytkt?

Re: Why is kcpytkt not shipped in a normal installation?

Robbie Harwood
Daniel Peebles <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for the history!
>
> For various obscure domain-specific reasons I won't go into, I need to
> ship service-specific tickets to a semi-trusted machine that doesn't
> (and shouldn't) have the TGT, so I use kvno to acquire a service
> ticket and then kcpytkt to get it out of my ccache and ship it over to
> the other machine.  I'll admit it's probably a pretty unusual use case
> but I imagine that more generally folks might want to copy tickets
> between caches (and probably delete them too).
>
> Would you accept a patch to revive their makefile machinery?
It seems to me like you could use `kinit -S` for this, and then copy the
ticket over.  I don't think we need a whole separate command for this.

Thanks,
--Robbie