Version Numbers

Henry B. Hotz
I know you guys have a position on the subject, but I'd like to push on
it, yet again.

We have an install of either MIT 1.3.x or 1.4.x on a test machine where
we just finished formal testing of an upgrade.  The SA who did the
build is on medical leave and we can't ask him which version it is.
How can we tell which version is installed?  We don't want to redo our
testing.

(I have a pretty good idea that it's 1.3 because there are no links to
*thread* in the lib's.  I'd prefer a more definitive indication though,
even if it was just a CVS tag in the headers.)

Re: Version Numbers

Jeffrey Altman-4
Execute "krb5-config --version"

Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> I know you guys have a position on the subject, but I'd like to push on
> it, yet again.
>
> We have an install of either MIT 1.3.x or 1.4.x on a test machine where
> we just finished formal testing of an upgrade.  The SA who did the
> build is on medical leave and we can't ask him which version it is.
> How can we tell which version is installed?  We don't want to redo our
> testing.
>
> (I have a pretty good idea that it's 1.3 because there are no links to
> *thread* in the lib's.  I'd prefer a more definitive indication though,
> even if it was just a CVS tag in the headers.)

Re: Version Numbers

hartmans

    Henry> I know you guys have a position on the subject, but I'd
    Henry> like to push on it, yet again.

I think our position is that the current situation is not ideal and we
would like it to improve.

I do wish that kinit and friends had a version argument that would
give you both the library and application version.

Re: Version Numbers

Roland C. Dowdeswell
Sam Hartman wrote:

>I think our position is that the current situation is not ideal and we
>would like it to improve.
>
>I do wish that kinit and friends had a version argument that would
>give you both the library and application version.

Something else that is quite helpful to do is:

        1.  change CVS to use a tag other than $Id$, e.g. $MIT$
            so that it does not conflict with other projects when
            they import the MIT srcs into CVS, and

        2.  define a macro, sort of like:

                #define MIT_RCSID(x) const char mit_rcsid[] = x

            The actual definition ends up being substantially more
            complex.  Then one includes this in each .c file:

            MIT_RCSID("$MIT$");

            This allows ident to list the CVS versions of every
            file which was used to build the binary or library in
            question.

On a side note, it makes sense to eliminate all usage of $Log$,
$Header$, $Date$, $Author$, etc. and only use $MIT$.

This is a little lower level than the original request, though.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/

Re: Version Numbers

hartmans
We've actually decided against the netbsd cvs tagging approach.  I do
understand that it has its advantages, but we've roughly decided that
we don't want RCS IDs in most files.

When we move to subversion, it might be reasonable to include a
repository revision in the branding information.

Re: Version Numbers

Markus Moeller
I did in the past the following:

strings libkrb5.so  | grep KRB5_BRAND
KRB5_BRAND: krb5-1-3-1-final 1.3.1 20030730

But I haven't checked if it works with 1.4.1

Regards
Markus

news:[hidden email]...