State of 1.6?

Henry B Hotz
I just tried to build rc2 of 1.6 (on CentOS 7). It seems to have some issues. Also it’s a year old. If I can ask some questions?

What happened that it was never promoted to a final release?

Why is it so rough for a release candidate? Usually an rc2 version is indistinguishable from a final. It’s missing a .map file that’s needed. A “make clean” deletes files that are needed for a “make” to succeed. It fails ungracefully if makeinfo isn’t present.

A “make check” fails on a couple of the hx509 tests. (Possibly minor. Haven’t looked yet.)

Should I be worried? I can’t help much, but I can do something.

Personal:  [hidden email]
Business: [hidden email]

Re: State of 1.6?

Love Hörnquist Åstrand

9 sep. 2015 kl. 18:43 skrev Henry B (Hank) Hotz, CISSP <[hidden email]>:

I just tried to build rc2 of 1.6 (on CentOS 7). It seems to have some issues. Also it’s a year old. If I can ask some questions?

What happened that it was never promoted to a final release?

As usual, I ran out of time.

Why is it so rough for a release candidate? Usually an rc2 version is indistinguishable from a final. It’s missing a .map file that’s needed. A “make clean” deletes files that are needed for a “make” to succeed. It fails ungracefully if makeinfo isn’t present.

A “make check” fails on a couple of the hx509 tests. (Possibly minor. Haven’t looked yet.)

Can’t tell w/o the results.

Should I be worried? I can’t help much, but I can do something.

We have been talking about cutting a new 1.7 release branch and start over. There have been many fixes to master since we cut the 1.6 branch

Love