Release engineering needs

Quanah Gibson-Mount-3
So, to move forward on doing releases:

1) I need access to the github project so I can lay release tags, etc
2) Ability to update the website <http://www.h5l.org/>.  In particular, I'd
love to fix <https://github.com/heimdal/heimdal/issues/147> by pointing at
github instead.

Thanks!

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Platform Architect
Zimbra ::  the leader in open source messaging and collaboration
A division of Synacor, Inc

Re: Release engineering needs

Nico Williams
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:07:05PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> So, to move forward on doing releases:
>
> 1) I need access to the github project so I can lay release tags, etc
> 2) Ability to update the website <http://www.h5l.org/>.  In
> particular, I'd love to fix
> <https://github.com/heimdal/heimdal/issues/147> by pointing at
> github instead.

1) We're asking Love to add owners and committers; currently he's the
   owner and we cannot add new contributors.  I'll let you know when
   he's done that.

2) Again, we'll ask Love.  Jeff may know more about this.

Nico

Re: Release engineering needs

Quanah Gibson-Mount-3
--On Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:21 PM -0500 Nico Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:07:05PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>> So, to move forward on doing releases:
>>
>> 1) I need access to the github project so I can lay release tags, etc
>> 2) Ability to update the website <http://www.h5l.org/>.  In
>> particular, I'd love to fix
>> <https://github.com/heimdal/heimdal/issues/147> by pointing at
>> github instead.
>
> 1) We're asking Love to add owners and committers; currently he's the
>    owner and we cannot add new contributors.  I'll let you know when
>    he's done that.
>
> 2) Again, we'll ask Love.  Jeff may know more about this.

Great, thanks!

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Platform Architect
Zimbra ::  the leader in open source messaging and collaboration
A division of Synacor, Inc

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 02:26:47PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:21 PM -0500 Nico Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:07:05PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> >>So, to move forward on doing releases:
> >>
> >>1) I need access to the github project so I can lay release tags, etc
> >>2) Ability to update the website <http://www.h5l.org/>.  In
> >>particular, I'd love to fix
> >><https://github.com/heimdal/heimdal/issues/147> by pointing at
> >>github instead.
> >
> >1) We're asking Love to add owners and committers; currently he's the
> >   owner and we cannot add new contributors.  I'll let you know when
> >   he's done that.

This part is done.  You are now a committer.  (I couldn't add you to the
"Heimdal committers" team, but I was able to add you as collaborator for
the heimdal repo, with write access.)

> >2) Again, we'll ask Love.  Jeff may know more about this.

I'm still waiting to hear about this.

I think we should prepare to move the site to github anyways and
hopefully it should be trivial once we get the keys to the site.

Nico

Re: Release engineering needs

Quanah Gibson-Mount-3
--On Friday, April 15, 2016 4:10 PM -0500 Nico Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 02:26:47PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>> --On Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:21 PM -0500 Nico Williams
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > 1) We're asking Love to add owners and committers; currently he's the
>> >   owner and we cannot add new contributors.  I'll let you know when
>> >   he's done that.
>
> This part is done.  You are now a committer.  (I couldn't add you to the
> "Heimdal committers" team, but I was able to add you as collaborator for
> the heimdal repo, with write access.)

Thanks!  Any objections to me creating a heimdal 1.7 milestone and adding
that to the recently closed issues?

>> > 2) Again, we'll ask Love.  Jeff may know more about this.
>
> I'm still waiting to hear about this.
>
> I think we should prepare to move the site to github anyways and
> hopefully it should be trivial once we get the keys to the site.

Sounds good.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Platform Architect
Zimbra ::  the leader in open source messaging and collaboration
A division of Synacor, Inc

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 01:51:48PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> Thanks!  Any objections to me creating a heimdal 1.7 milestone and
> adding that to the recently closed issues?

Go for it.

The site ishosted on github already, see https://github.com/heimdal/h5lweb
which you are now also a committer for.

Thanks!

Re: Release engineering needs

Quanah Gibson-Mount-3
--On Friday, April 15, 2016 5:37 PM -0500 Nico Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 01:51:48PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>> Thanks!  Any objections to me creating a heimdal 1.7 milestone and
>> adding that to the recently closed issues?
>
> Go for it.

> The site ishosted on github already, see https://github.com/heimdal/h5lweb
> which you are now also a committer for.

Perfect, thanks!  I'll start making some basic edits then, and hopefully we
can figure out how to push it live.

For process, do we want merge requests from our own local repo copies for
review, or direct edits to the repositry?  Just so I know how people are
most comfortable working.

Thanks,
Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Platform Architect
Zimbra ::  the leader in open source messaging and collaboration
A division of Synacor, Inc

Re: Release engineering needs

Jeffrey Altman-2
On 4/15/2016 4:42 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

>> The site is hosted on github already, see
>> https://github.com/heimdal/h5lweb
>> which you are now also a committer for.
>
> Perfect, thanks!  I'll start making some basic edits then, and hopefully
> we can figure out how to push it live.
>
> For process, do we want merge requests from our own local repo copies
> for review, or direct edits to the repository?  Just so I know how people
> are most comfortable working.
>
> Thanks,
> Quanah

All commits to h5lweb/master go live immediately.

My personal preference would be for a review and sign-off process.

I know you want to remove references to [hidden email] but I would
rather figure out how that address can be redirected somewhere useful.

Re: Release engineering needs

Quanah Gibson-Mount-3
--On Friday, April 15, 2016 6:13 PM -0500 Jeffrey Altman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> All commits to h5lweb/master go live immediately.
>
> My personal preference would be for a review and sign-off process.
>
> I know you want to remove references to [hidden email] but I would
> rather figure out how that address can be redirected somewhere useful.

Some questions then --

Do we want to maintain an email bug interface?  It seems most folks have
found the github issue tracking system.  If we want to keep the email bug
interface, then do we manually take those and make github issues?  Or do we
want to set up our own tracker like RT and close the github issue system?
Do we want to make it so a heimdal-bugs@ list is only for discussion issues
opened up in github?  Having github issues + our own tracker doesn't seem
particularly tenable to me.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Platform Architect
Zimbra ::  the leader in open source messaging and collaboration
A division of Synacor, Inc

Re: Release engineering needs

Andrew Bartlett
On Fri, 2016-04-15 at 15:32 -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Friday, April 15, 2016 6:13 PM -0500 Jeffrey Altman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > All commits to h5lweb/master go live immediately.
> >
> > My personal preference would be for a review and sign-off process.
> >
> > I know you want to remove references to [hidden email] but I
> > would
> > rather figure out how that address can be redirected somewhere
> > useful.
>
> Some questions then --
>
> Do we want to maintain an email bug interface?  It seems most folks
> have
> found the github issue tracking system.  If we want to keep the email
> bug
> interface, then do we manually take those and make github issues?  Or
> do we
> want to set up our own tracker like RT and close the github issue
> system?
> Do we want to make it so a heimdal-bugs@ list is only for discussion
> issues
> opened up in github?  Having github issues + our own tracker doesn't
> seem
> particularly tenable to me.

I suggest e-mail only for security sensitive stuff that can't be done
in public trackers.

Andrew Bartlett

On Sat, 2016-04-16 at 10:58 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-04-15 at 15:32 -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> > --On Friday, April 15, 2016 6:13 PM -0500 Jeffrey Altman
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > All commits to h5lweb/master go live immediately.
> > >
> > > My personal preference would be for a review and sign-off
> > > process.
> > >
> > > I know you want to remove references to [hidden email] but
> > > would
> > > rather figure out how that address can be redirected somewhere
> > > useful.
> >
> > Some questions then --
> >
> > Do we want to maintain an email bug interface?  It seems most folks
> > have
> > found the github issue tracking system.  If we want to keep the
> > email
> > bug
> > interface, then do we manually take those and make github issues?
> >  Or
> > do we
> > want to set up our own tracker like RT and close the github issue
> > system?
> > Do we want to make it so a heimdal-bugs@ list is only for
> > discussion
> > issues
> > opened up in github?  Having github issues + our own tracker
> > doesn't
> > seem
> > particularly tenable to me.
>
> I suggest e-mail only for security sensitive stuff that can't be done
> in public trackers.

BTW, If there is a desire to have issues come to the mailing list also,
then this can be done with things like:

Re: Release engineering needs

Brian May-11
Andrew Bartlett <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Do we want to maintain an email bug interface?

The github issue tracker has an email interface, although I am not sure
if it can be used to create new issues (and haven't bothered to check).

I have only used it occasionally to followup to existing issues (by
replying to outgong emails), and it seems to work well.
--
Brian May <[hidden email]>