Re: kerberos error setup on mac

ronald rodriguez
Hello,

Thanks for your prompt response, however i'm still facing error when compiling the package on mac Sierra OS.

I had followed the procedure which is quite old one.

Looks like nautils does not exist on the latest mac version, I did searched and tried dcsl to modified the services, I'm not sure whether there is sign that dscl is working or not.

Have tried these steps :
1. From the website I replaced nautil to dscl.
2. Rebooted my mac.
3. In the src directory, I excuted configure.
4. From the resolve path I did executed ./resolve command.

Can you help me to direct to the latest link if you have it?

Thank you,

> On 13 Apr 2017, at 8:02 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ronald,
>
>> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:47:36AM +0800, ronald rodriguez wrote:
>> Hi MIT team,
>>
>> Just need help to install on mac, seems the instruction provided is not working on latest mac version, are you able to provide the update steps to install the kerberos master on mac osx?
>
> This question is better directed at the public [hidden email]
> list, and anyway would require more details to be answerable.  (You
> write as if there is only one instruction set globally, which is
> decidedly not true.  You'd need to provide more details about what
> procedure you are following and how it fails in order for anyone to
> help you.)
>
> -Ben

Re: kerberos error setup on mac

Benjamin Kaduk-2
You should send a link to the procedure you are trying to follow;
otherwise we cannot help you.  That is, you say "from the website",
but which website?

-Ben

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:41:28AM +0800, Ronald Gmail wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your prompt response, however i'm still facing error when compiling the package on mac Sierra OS.
>
> I had followed the procedure which is quite old one.
>
> Looks like nautils does not exist on the latest mac version, I did searched and tried dcsl to modified the services, I'm not sure whether there is sign that dscl is working or not.
>
> Have tried these steps :
> 1. From the website I replaced nautil to dscl.
> 2. Rebooted my mac.
> 3. In the src directory, I excuted configure.
> 4. From the resolve path I did executed ./resolve command.
>
> Can you help me to direct to the latest link if you have it?
>

> Thank you,
>
> > On 13 Apr 2017, at 8:02 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ronald,
> >
> >> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:47:36AM +0800, ronald rodriguez wrote:
> >> Hi MIT team,
> >>
> >> Just need help to install on mac, seems the instruction provided is not working on latest mac version, are you able to provide the update steps to install the kerberos master on mac osx?
> >
> > This question is better directed at the public [hidden email]
> > list, and anyway would require more details to be answerable.  (You
> > write as if there is only one instruction set globally, which is
> > decidedly not true.  You'd need to provide more details about what
> > procedure you are following and how it fails in order for anyone to
> > help you.)
> >
> > -Ben

Re: kerberos error setup on mac

ronald rodriguez
Thanks! This is the reference from the mit I followed:
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.2/krb5-1.2.6/doc/install.html#SEC63

Regards!

> On 13 Apr 2017, at 12:14 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You should send a link to the procedure you are trying to follow;
> otherwise we cannot help you.  That is, you say "from the website",
> but which website?
>
> -Ben
>
>> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:41:28AM +0800, Ronald Gmail wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks for your prompt response, however i'm still facing error when compiling the package on mac Sierra OS.
>>
>> I had followed the procedure which is quite old one.
>>
>> Looks like nautils does not exist on the latest mac version, I did searched and tried dcsl to modified the services, I'm not sure whether there is sign that dscl is working or not.
>>
>> Have tried these steps :
>> 1. From the website I replaced nautil to dscl.
>> 2. Rebooted my mac.
>> 3. In the src directory, I excuted configure.
>> 4. From the resolve path I did executed ./resolve command.
>>
>> Can you help me to direct to the latest link if you have it?
>>

>> Thank you,
>>
>>> On 13 Apr 2017, at 8:02 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ronald,

>>> This question is better directed at the public [hidden email]
>>> list, and anyway would require more details to be answerable.  (You
>>> write as if there is only one instruction set globally, which is
>>> decidedly not true.  You'd need to provide more details about what
>>> procedure you are following and how it fails in order for anyone to
>>> help you.)
>>>
>>> -Ben

Re: kerberos error setup on mac

Emma Lee
1.2.6 is from 2002.

The current documentation [1] can be found from the website.

If there is no need to build from source, you will probably be happier
using macports [2] or homebrew [3], which are community-run package
managers for macOS/OS X.

For homebrew, because Heimdal Kerberos comes with the OS, MIT Kerberos
is considered a "dupe" according to it's policies. You must tap
homebrew/dupes in order to install krb5, and then force "linking" the
package to use it (that is, your PATH will have /usr/local/bin and
therefore the linked krb5 supercede where system Heimdal Kerberos is).

    $ # install homebrew following the instructions on their website
    $ brew tap homebrew/dupes
    $ brew install krb5
    $ brew link krb5 --force

I have little experience using macports, so will let someone else
throw in their 2c about it.

--emma

[1] - http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.15/doc/index.html
[2] - https://www.macports.org/
[3] - https://brew.sh/

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Ronald Gmail
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks! This is the reference from the mit I followed:
> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.2/krb5-1.2.6/doc/install.html#SEC63
>
> Regards!
>
>> On 13 Apr 2017, at 12:14 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You should send a link to the procedure you are trying to follow;
>> otherwise we cannot help you.  That is, you say "from the website",
>> but which website?
>>
>> -Ben
>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:41:28AM +0800, Ronald Gmail wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your prompt response, however i'm still facing error when compiling the package on mac Sierra OS.
>>>
>>> I had followed the procedure which is quite old one.
>>>
>>> Looks like nautils does not exist on the latest mac version, I did searched and tried dcsl to modified the services, I'm not sure whether there is sign that dscl is working or not.
>>>
>>> Have tried these steps :
>>> 1. From the website I replaced nautil to dscl.
>>> 2. Rebooted my mac.
>>> 3. In the src directory, I excuted configure.
>>> 4. From the resolve path I did executed ./resolve command.
>>>
>>> Can you help me to direct to the latest link if you have it?
>>>

>>> Thank you,

Re: kerberos error setup on mac

ronald rodriguez
Wow!Tthis is very nice. Let me try it later and update you Emma,

I'll really appreciate your effort helping me.

Thank you,
Ronald

> On 13 Apr 2017, at 1:42 PM, Emma Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1.2.6 is from 2002.
>
> The current documentation [1] can be found from the website.
>
> If there is no need to build from source, you will probably be happier
> using macports [2] or homebrew [3], which are community-run package
> managers for macOS/OS X.
>
> For homebrew, because Heimdal Kerberos comes with the OS, MIT Kerberos
> is considered a "dupe" according to it's policies. You must tap
> homebrew/dupes in order to install krb5, and then force "linking" the
> package to use it (that is, your PATH will have /usr/local/bin and
> therefore the linked krb5 supercede where system Heimdal Kerberos is).
>
>    $ # install homebrew following the instructions on their website
>    $ brew tap homebrew/dupes
>    $ brew install krb5
>    $ brew link krb5 --force
>
> I have little experience using macports, so will let someone else
> throw in their 2c about it.
>
> --emma
>
> [1] - http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.15/doc/index.html
> [2] - https://www.macports.org/
> [3] - https://brew.sh/
>
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Ronald Gmail
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks! This is the reference from the mit I followed:
>> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.2/krb5-1.2.6/doc/install.html#SEC63
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>>> On 13 Apr 2017, at 12:14 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> You should send a link to the procedure you are trying to follow;
>>> otherwise we cannot help you.  That is, you say "from the website",
>>> but which website?
>>>
>>> -Ben

Re: kerberos error setup on mac

ronald rodriguez
Thanks Emma!

I have installed the kerberos5 using macport, just wonder if you can still able to help me to figure out which is the right kdc.conf being read by the system. I just tried these files:

KurtMAC:etc mcroot$ grep listen /opt/local/etc/kdc.conf  /usr/local/etc/kdc.conf
/opt/local/etc/kdc.conf: kdc_listen = 750
/opt/local/etc/kdc.conf: kdc_tcp_listen = 750
/opt/local/etc/kdc.conf: kdc_listen = 750
/opt/local/etc/kdc.conf: kdc_tcp_listen = 750
/usr/local/etc/kdc.conf: kdc_listen = 4000
/usr/local/etc/kdc.conf: kdc_tcp_listen = 4000
/usr/local/etc/kdc.conf: kdc_listen = 4000
/usr/local/etc/kdc.conf: kdc_tcp_listen = 4000
KurtMAC:etc mcroot$ sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.Kerberos.kdc.plist
KurtMAC:etc mcroot$ sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.Kerberos.kdc.plist
KurtMAC:etc mcroot$ netstat -an | grep LIS | grep 88
tcp4       0      0  *.88                   *.*                    LISTEN
tcp6       0      0  *.88                   *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.11.49704     17.188.165.207.5223    ESTABLISHED
KurtMAC:etc mcroot$

but still it listen to port 88. Your expert advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
ronald

> On 13 Apr 2017, at 1:42 PM, Emma Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1.2.6 is from 2002.
>
> The current documentation [1] can be found from the website.
>
> If there is no need to build from source, you will probably be happier
> using macports [2] or homebrew [3], which are community-run package
> managers for macOS/OS X.
>
> For homebrew, because Heimdal Kerberos comes with the OS, MIT Kerberos
> is considered a "dupe" according to it's policies. You must tap
> homebrew/dupes in order to install krb5, and then force "linking" the
> package to use it (that is, your PATH will have /usr/local/bin and
> therefore the linked krb5 supercede where system Heimdal Kerberos is).
>
>    $ # install homebrew following the instructions on their website
>    $ brew tap homebrew/dupes
>    $ brew install krb5
>    $ brew link krb5 --force
>
> I have little experience using macports, so will let someone else
> throw in their 2c about it.
>
> --emma
>
> [1] - http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.15/doc/index.html
> [2] - https://www.macports.org/
> [3] - https://brew.sh/
>
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Ronald Gmail
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks! This is the reference from the mit I followed:
>> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.2/krb5-1.2.6/doc/install.html#SEC63
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>>> On 13 Apr 2017, at 12:14 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> You should send a link to the procedure you are trying to follow;
>>> otherwise we cannot help you.  That is, you say "from the website",
>>> but which website?
>>>
>>> -Ben

Re: kerberos error setup on mac

Greg Hudson
On 04/13/2017 11:56 PM, ronald rodriguez wrote:
> Thanks Emma!
>
> I have installed the kerberos5 using macport, just wonder if you can still able to help me to figure out which is the right kdc.conf being read by the system. I just tried these files:

The default location of kdc.conf is in <localstatedir>/krb5kdc/kdc.conf,
where <localstatedir> is determined by configure.  By default it should
be /usr/local/var/krb5kdc/kdc.conf, but it would be affected by the
--localstatedir or --prefix configure options.

See also the top of
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/admin/conf_files/kdc_conf.html
and
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/mitK5defaults.html#paths

Re: kerberos error setup on mac

ronald rodriguez
Thanks Greg!

I did not use the configue option instead i just followed the instruction given by Emma.  I just used sudo port install kerberos5. I'll try to copy the files krb5.conf and kdc.conf to the default path see if the port will listen to the port i specified in the config.

Thank you,

> On 14 Apr 2017, at 11:59 PM, Greg Hudson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 04/13/2017 11:56 PM, ronald rodriguez wrote:
>> Thanks Emma!
>>
>> I have installed the kerberos5 using macport, just wonder if you can still able to help me to figure out which is the right kdc.conf being read by the system. I just tried these files:
>
> The default location of kdc.conf is in <localstatedir>/krb5kdc/kdc.conf,
> where <localstatedir> is determined by configure.  By default it should
> be /usr/local/var/krb5kdc/kdc.conf, but it would be affected by the
> --localstatedir or --prefix configure options.
>
> See also the top of
> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/admin/conf_files/kdc_conf.html
> and
> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/mitK5defaults.html#paths

Re: kerberos error setup on mac

ronald rodriguez
Hi Emma,

I’m quite new to Kerberos, can you help me? do you know where i need to put the file krb5.conf kdc.conf and kadm5.acl

I dont know how to use macport instead i just shifted to brew.

Thanks!