Re: How hard is it to create a libkdc?

Johan Danielsson
Andrew Bartlett <[hidden email]> writes:

> So, the real question is: Am I insane, and does anybody else know
> their way around the Heimdal tree/automake/libtool well enough to
> describe how create a new lib?

Doesn't sound exceedingly difficult.

/Johan

Re: How hard is it to create a libkdc?

Dave Love
Andrew Bartlett <[hidden email]> writes:

> So, the real question is: Am I insane, and does anybody else know their
> way around the Heimdal tree/automake/libtool well enough to describe how
> create a new lib?

The autotools stuff is mostly straightforward.  Isn't it clear from
the existing libraries, or is it a question of not knowing automake?

I found it's not always obvious how to deal with other things, like
including the right headers at times, and it can be awkward to
navigate the sources since tags come partly from built sources.
Things generally make sense when Love points you in the right
direction, I guess especially if you know more c99 than I obviously
do.  (That's experience working on portability issues, though, rather
than major hacking.)

Re: How hard is it to create a libkdc?

Andrew Bartlett
On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 18:38 +0100, Dave Love wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > So, the real question is: Am I insane, and does anybody else know their
> > way around the Heimdal tree/automake/libtool well enough to describe how
> > create a new lib?
>
> The autotools stuff is mostly straightforward.  Isn't it clear from
> the existing libraries, or is it a question of not knowing automake?

Just not knowing automake.  I only survived adding the ldb module
because I could copy/paste the definition for the LDAP module :-)

> I found it's not always obvious how to deal with other things, like
> including the right headers at times, and it can be awkward to
> navigate the sources since tags come partly from built sources.
> Things generally make sense when Love points you in the right
> direction

This is certainly true.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                                http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team           http://samba.org

Re: How hard is it to create a libkdc?

Love Hörnquist Åstrand

Andrew Bartlett <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 18:38 +0100, Dave Love wrote:
>> Andrew Bartlett <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > So, the real question is: Am I insane, and does anybody else know their
>> > way around the Heimdal tree/automake/libtool well enough to describe how
>> > create a new lib?
>>
>> The autotools stuff is mostly straightforward.  Isn't it clear from
>> the existing libraries, or is it a question of not knowing automake?
>
> Just not knowing automake.  I only survived adding the ldb module
> because I could copy/paste the definition for the LDAP module :-)
The making makefiles part of modern automake is the easist part of the
autotoolchain to understand. If you need any help, I'm sure I can help you.

To create a new lib, just copy an old Makefile.am that builds a lib and add
the new Makefile to AC_CONFIG_FILES section in configure.in.

Love

Re: How hard is it to create a libkdc?

Luke Howard

Here's the Makefile.am for the Heimdal KDC used in XAD:

http://www.padl.com/~lukeh/XAD/Makefile.am

-- Luke

Luke Howard <[hidden email]> writes:

> Here's the Makefile.am for the Heimdal KDC used in XAD:

Have you done anything more interesting that taking a sharp object and
cutting straight through the code? Specifically, there's a fairly
large set of global state in the kdc, which, if it was turned into a
library, should probably be passed to each function.

/Johan