MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

Vinayak Hegde
Hi,
 Database plug-ability in MIT Kerberos allowing the use of external
back-end was one of the important requirements of Samba4.

 I have published the MIT Kerberos Database Abstraction Layer (DAL) code
for reference at the following URL:
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfcontent/private.php/mit-krb-ldap/homepage/DAL-code/dal-2005-jun-02-src.tar.gz

 Your comments are welcome.

PS: The code is under development and may get modified before submitting
to MIT Kerberos source tree.

Thanks,
Vinayak

Re: MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

Andrew Bartlett
On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 05:51 -0600, Vinayak Hegde wrote:
> Hi,
>  Database plug-ability in MIT Kerberos allowing the use of external
> back-end was one of the important requirements of Samba4.
>
>  I have published the MIT Kerberos Database Abstraction Layer (DAL) code
> for reference at the following URL:
> http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfcontent/private.php/mit-krb-ldap/homepage/DAL-code/dal-2005-jun-02-src.tar.gz

It is good to finally see the code.  Unfortunately, I can't make much
sense of it without the MIT code, and you have it in a rather odd
format.  Is it available as a patch against a particular version of MIT
kerberos?

To be honest, I don't expect this will change the course we are set on
for Samba4 development, but it will be interesting to watch.

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett                                http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team           http://samba.org

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 22:39 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 05:51 -0600, Vinayak Hegde wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  Database plug-ability in MIT Kerberos allowing the use of external
> > back-end was one of the important requirements of Samba4.
> >
> >  I have published the MIT Kerberos Database Abstraction Layer (DAL) code
> > for reference at the following URL:
> > http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfcontent/private.php/mit-krb-ldap/homepage/DAL-code/dal-2005-jun-02-src.tar.gz
>
> It is good to finally see the code.  Unfortunately, I can't make much
> sense of it without the MIT code, and you have it in a rather odd
> format.  Is it available as a patch against a particular version of MIT
> kerberos?
>
> To be honest, I don't expect this will change the course we are set on
> for Samba4 development, but it will be interesting to watch.
To be clear on my comments.  The outcome of the 'libkdc' discussion held
on these lists recently was that most parties seemed agreed that the
Samba team should continue down the current approach, where I'm
embedding a KDC (which looks like being Heimdal, due to good technical
progress) into Samba4's source tree.

(I'm finishing some details of how this will happen, and will report
back to the lists on the experiments soon)

I do intend to study both this and Shushi (which has some very nice code
inside, but is also the new kid on the block) as they develop, and as
interested developers customise interfaces to allow Samba use them.

All this said, my focus has to be on getting a Samba4 release, and for
the initial release, I'll hope to just support our builtin KDC, with a
view to the opportunities presented thereafter.

I hope this makes matters clearer, and I am grateful to finally see the
code.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                                http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team           http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College  http://hawkerc.net

Re: MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

hartmans
Is this intended to be the version you want us to integrate, or are we
still waiting for something from Novell?

Re: MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

Jeremy Allison
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 05:51:28AM -0600, Vinayak Hegde wrote:

> Hi,
>  Database plug-ability in MIT Kerberos allowing the use of external
> back-end was one of the important requirements of Samba4.
>
>  I have published the MIT Kerberos Database Abstraction Layer (DAL) code
> for reference at the following URL:
> http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfcontent/private.php/mit-krb-ldap/homepage/DAL-code/dal-2005-jun-02-src.tar.gz
>

>  Your comments are welcome.
>
> PS: The code is under development and may get modified before submitting
> to MIT Kerberos source tree.

Thanks Vinayak, looks interesting ! The only thing I'd recommend if you
haven't already done it is to run the whole KDC + DAL code under valgrind
(http://valgrind.org/) if you haven't already done so. If you haven't it'll
find bugs - lots of them (it does for Samba :-). Apologies if this is already
part of your test proceedure, it's just that previous krb5 MIT releases haven't
been valgrind-safe in the past and I wanted to make sure DAL would be :-).

Cheers,

        Jeremy.

Re: MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

Premalatha M
Sam,
Samba team wanted to see an early version of the code. This is published
for their review.

Praveen is testing the code with 1.4.1. After his testing, he will
submit the code for integration.

Thanks
Prema

>>>Sam Hartman <[hidden email]> 06/02/05 4:25 pm >>>
Is this intended to be the version you want us to integrate, or are we
still waiting for something from Novell?

Re: MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

hartmans

    Premalatha> Sam, Samba team wanted to see an early version of the
    Premalatha> code. This is published for their review.

    Premalatha> Praveen is testing the code with 1.4.1. After his
    Premalatha> testing, he will submit the code for integration.

OK, excellent.  I just didn't want to get confused from a
communications standpoint.

Re: MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

Premalatha M
Hi Jeremy,

Running valgrind is part of the procedure.

Thanks
Prema

>>>Jeremy Allison <[hidden email]> 06/02/05 6:40 pm >>>
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 05:51:28AM -0600, Vinayak Hegde wrote:
>Hi,
> Database plug-ability in MIT Kerberos allowing the use of external
>back-end was one of the important requirements of Samba4.
>
> I have published the MIT Kerberos Database Abstraction Layer (DAL)
code
>for reference at the following URL:
>http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfcontent/private.php/mit-krb-ldap/homepage/DAL-code/dal-2005-jun-02-src.tar.gz
>

> Your comments are welcome.
>
>PS: The code is under development and may get modified before
submitting
>to MIT Kerberos source tree.

Thanks Vinayak, looks interesting ! The only thing I'd recommend if you
haven't already done it is to run the whole KDC + DAL code under
valgrind
(http://valgrind.org/) if you haven't already done so. If you haven't
it'll
find bugs - lots of them (it does for Samba :-). Apologies if this is
already
part of your test proceedure, it's just that previous krb5 MIT releases
haven't
been valgrind-safe in the past and I wanted to make sure DAL would be
:-).

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Re: MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

Vinayak Hegde
Andrew,
 Sorry for the late reply. I was on leave till yesterday.

Yes, as a first step, the published code includes the files that are
pertinent to Database Abstraction Layer (DAL) code.
We are working on merging it with the current release (MIT KRB 1.4.1)
for submitting to MIT Kerberos source.
I would publish that patch soon after we have it ready.

Regards,
Vinayak

>>>Andrew Bartlett <[hidden email]> 06/02/05 12:39 pm >>>
On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 05:51 -0600, Vinayak Hegde wrote:
>Hi,
> Database plug-ability in MIT Kerberos allowing the use of external
>back-end was one of the important requirements of Samba4.
>
> I have published the MIT Kerberos Database Abstraction Layer (DAL)
code
>for reference at the following URL:
>http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfcontent/private.php/mit-krb-ldap/homepage/DAL-code/dal-2005-jun-02-src.tar.gz

It is good to finally see the code.  Unfortunately, I can't make much
sense of it without the MIT code, and you have it in a rather odd
format.  Is it available as a patch against a particular version of MIT
kerberos?

To be honest, I don't expect this will change the course we are set on
for Samba4 development, but it will be interesting to watch.

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team           http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College  http://hawkerc.net

Re: MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

Vinayak Hegde
Jeremy,
 Thanks for the valuable suggestion.
We are already using valgrind for testing and we will fix the issues
that we encounter.

Regards,
Vinayak