KDC fails to start

securenix
Hi,

I run "/etc/init.d/krb5kdc start" to start kdc but it does not function
well. No KDC runs and no port is open.

The log file says:

krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 750 address
fe80::20b:....
krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 750 address
fe80::20b:....

Google actually did not help  very much. Any idea for the solution?

I use Fedora Core 2 with kernel 2.6.

Thanks

Re: KDC fails to start

Kenneth G Raeburn
On Sep 6, 2005, at 4:18, securenix wrote:
> krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 750
> address
> fe80::20b:....
> krb5kdc: No such device - Cannot bind server socket to port 750
> address
> fe80::20b:....

Odd... those should be eliminated based on the flags in /proc/net/
if_inet6, or perhaps some flags in getifaddrs if your system has it.
I haven't run into it on our 2.6.9 kernels under RHEL 4.

Also any non-local IPv4 addresses should've been used as well.

Were you disconnected from the network at the time you did this?  If
you have no addresses assigned (excluding loopback and link-local
addresses), the KDC won't find any addresses to bind to, and won't
start.

Ken

Re: KDC fails to start

securenix
 > Were you disconnected from the network at the time you did this?  If
  > you have no addresses assigned (excluding loopback and link-local
 > addresses), the KDC won't find any addresses to bind to, and won't
 >start.

No, network remains up. Both lo and ethernet have assigned addresses.

In some forums, it is said that IPv6 address might be not well assigned.
  The Ipv6 address of my loopback is assigned to "::1/128". Is this correct?

Actually I want to run it only for experiment. My kernel is also 2.6.9

Thanks