KDC acting as both master and slave

Adam Lewenberg
I am trying to set up a chain of KDCs where KDC1 replicates from KDC2
and KDC2 replicates from KDC3.

Thus, KDC2 is both a master and slave.

However, I cannot get this to work. If iprop-slave is running on KDC2,
then KDC1 will not replicate from KDC2. As soon as I stop the
iprop-slave process, KDC1 starts replicating.

Is it possible to have a Heimdal KDC act as both a master and slave? If
so, how?

Thanks, Adam Lewenberg

Re: KDC acting as both master and slave

Roland C. Dowdeswell-2
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 08:03:22AM -0700, Adam Lewenberg wrote:

> I am trying to set up a chain of KDCs where KDC1 replicates from KDC2 and
> KDC2 replicates from KDC3.
>
> Thus, KDC2 is both a master and slave.
>
> However, I cannot get this to work. If iprop-slave is running on KDC2, then
> KDC1 will not replicate from KDC2. As soon as I stop the iprop-slave
> process, KDC1 starts replicating.
>
> Is it possible to have a Heimdal KDC act as both a master and slave? If so,
> how?

It is not currently possible because ipropd-slave maintains an exclusive
lock on the log file thus preventing other writers.  We will consider
taking a more liberal strategy with this lock.  Can you describe your
use case a bit more to help justify this?  Also, can you create an issue
in https://github.com/heimdal/heimdal to track this?

    Roland C. Dowdeswell