How Kerberize an application

Carlos Rainho
Hello,

I'm studying Science Computing in Gama Filho University at Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil. In my final project, I will implement securtiy in ALua, an
event-driven communication mechanism for developing distributed parallel
applications based on the interpreted language Lua (http://www.lua.org).

One way of this implementation is the usage of Kerberos. So, I need the
modeling of kerberos in linux (Fedora 8) to kerberize commands in ALua that
sends messages from one process for others processes in the same machine or
not. Summarizing, I want to know how kerberize any application in Linux.

I search for all the Internet, including site redhat.com, papers in
CiteSeer, and no modeling was found.

Can you help me?

Carlos Rainho

Re: How Kerberize an application

Kristen J. Webb
Hi Carlos,

For these types of questions, you
should be on the [hidden email]
mailing list.

I'm currently involved in the process,

Here is a good overview of how things work:

http://www.kerberos.org/software/tutorial.html

Alf Wachsmann's tutorial in Linux Journal
explains setting up your KDC and more.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7336

There are examples programs in the download.

I've also been using IBM's online documentation
as well (for example, krb5_rd_req).

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/index.jsp?topic=/apis/krb5_rd_req.htm

Hope that helps,
Kris

--
Mr. Kristen J. Webb
Teradactyl LLC.

PHONE: 1-505-242-1091
EMAIL: [hidden email]
VISIT: http://www.teradactyl.com

  Home of the

  True incremental Backup System

RE: How Kerberize an application

Kevin Koch
Brian Tung's Kerberos book has examples of how to call Kerberos functions in
your code.

ISBN 0201379244.

http://www.amazon.com/Kerberos-Network-Authentication-Addison-Wesley-Network
ing/dp/0201379244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210702842&sr=8-1

Kevin Koch
Kerberos for Windows Lead Software Engineer
MIT Kerberos Consortium http://www.kerberos.org
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
304 Vassar St. W92-143
Cambridge, MA 02139
617-324-8949
[hidden email]

Re: How Kerberize an application

John Stevens-7
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 03:01:35PM -0400, Kevin Koch wrote:

> Brian Tung's Kerberos book has examples of how to call Kerberos functions in
> your code.
>
> ISBN 0201379244.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Kerberos-Network-Authentication-Addison-Wesley-Network
> ing/dp/0201379244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210702842&sr=8-1
>
> Kevin Koch
> Kerberos for Windows Lead Software Engineer
> MIT Kerberos Consortium http://www.kerberos.org
> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> 304 Vassar St. W92-143
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> 617-324-8949
> [hidden email]

I developed something that sounds similiar to this for Ruby.  I've never
heard of Alua, but I'm betting the design patterns will be similar.

Feel free to email me higher level (design, pattern or reasoning) questions
if you think I could be of help.

Luck,
John S.