Disable logging for krb5kdc

Дилян Палаузов
Hello,

I thought that no default/kdc entry in the [logging] section of kdc.conf and krb5.conf will mean no logging.  Yet, krb5kdc writes to syslog or stdout (which goes to systemd/journal, where I can see it).

Please amend the documemtation for kdc.conf to state:
- what are the default logging settings if default is not specified, and
- how to disable logging for krb5kdc.

I think right now for the latter using /dev/null as DEVICE or in the systemd service file use LogLevelMax=alert.  But maybe there is a better way.

Regards
  Дилян

Re: Disable logging for krb5kdc

Greg Hudson
On 5/15/19 6:26 PM, Дилян Палаузов wrote:
> I thought that no default/kdc entry in the [logging] section of kdc.conf and krb5.conf will mean no logging.  Yet, krb5kdc writes to syslog or stdout (which goes to systemd/journal, where I can see it).

From the code, I believe the default is to write to syslog.  I don't see
any code to default to logging to stdout or stderr.

> Please amend the documemtation for kdc.conf to state:
> - what are the default logging settings if default is not specified, and
> - how to disable logging for krb5kdc.
>
> I think right now for the latter using /dev/null as DEVICE or in the systemd service file use LogLevelMax=alert.  But maybe there is a better way.

I will update the documentation.  I don't see a way to disable logging
aside from writing to /dev/null.