Development environment setup

Idan Freiberg
Hello krb devs,

I’m planning to work on Kerberos u2u support.
I would like to have you advice on what is the best env setup I should do
for development.

I want the code to be compatible with MS KDC as well.

Should I code against Samba KDC first?
The addition is mainly in the gssapi area I think.

I’ll be happy to hear your inputs and advices

— Idan
--
Idan Freiberg

PGP FP: 8108 7EC9 806E 4980 75F2  72B3 8AD3 2D04 337B 1F18

Re: Development environment setup

Greg Hudson
On 02/25/2018 10:53 AM, Idan Freiberg wrote:> I’m planning to work on
Kerberos u2u support.
> I would like to have you advice on what is the best env setup I should do
> for development.

Kerberos developers usually work on a Unix-like system such as a Linux
distribution, a *BSD, or macOS.  The most recent versions of macOS
introduce some restrictions which we haven't worked around in our test
suite yet, so it wouldn't be my first recommendation.

We have some documentation about environment setup on the wiki:

http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Building
http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Test_suite
http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Manual_Testing

Re: Development environment setup

Idan Freiberg
Thanks for the info.
I’ll try to play around here @ irc
I think the gss-client/server apps can help too
בתאריך יום ב׳, 26 בפבר׳ 2018 ב-18:10 מאת Greg Hudson <[hidden email]>:

> On 02/25/2018 10:53 AM, Idan Freiberg wrote:> I’m planning to work on
> Kerberos u2u support.
> > I would like to have you advice on what is the best env setup I should do
> > for development.
>
> Kerberos developers usually work on a Unix-like system such as a Linux
> distribution, a *BSD, or macOS.  The most recent versions of macOS
> introduce some restrictions which we haven't worked around in our test
> suite yet, so it wouldn't be my first recommendation.
>
> We have some documentation about environment setup on the wiki:
>
> http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Building
> http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Test_suite
> http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Manual_Testing

--
Idan Freiberg

PGP FP: 8108 7EC9 806E 4980 75F2  72B3 8AD3 2D04 337B 1F18

Re: Development environment setup

Robbie Harwood
Idan Freiberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> I’m planning to work on Kerberos u2u support.  I would like to have
> you advice on what is the best env setup I should do for development.
>
> I want the code to be compatible with MS KDC as well.
>
> Should I code against Samba KDC first?  The addition is mainly in the
> gssapi area I think.

Samba uses MIT (or Heimdal, depending on where you get it and how you
build it) these days, and I think the debuggability you'll get out of
those will be a lot higher than from Microsoft's.

What do you mean by "addition"?  Microsoft's KDC isn't open source, so I
don't know how you could add things to it - this means protocol changes
are going to be difficult.  Also, it doesn't support the GSSAPI (there
is some measure of compatibility between GSSAPI and SSPI on the wire,
but the API is not identitcal).

Thanks,
--Robbie

Re: Development environment setup

Idan Freiberg
Robbie, I have an experience with both of the apis.
U2U RFC is already implemented by MS Both in Kerberos client and KDC.
I want to make MIT Kerberos interoperable with it as well.

בתאריך יום ב׳, 26 בפבר׳ 2018 ב-18:28 מאת Robbie Harwood <[hidden email]

--
Idan Freiberg

PGP FP: 8108 7EC9 806E 4980 75F2  72B3 8AD3 2D04 337B 1F18

Re: Development environment setup

Robbie Harwood
Idan Freiberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> Robbie, I have an experience with both of the apis.  U2U RFC is
> already implemented by MS Both in Kerberos client and KDC.  I want to
> make MIT Kerberos interoperable with it as well.

Well, if you want MIT to interoperate, that means you need to set up
MIT (unless I misunderstand)?

Thanks,
--Robbie

Re: Development environment setup

Idan Freiberg
Yes. I have a setup of MIT Kerberos client only for now and MS active
directory for KDC.

בתאריך יום ב׳, 26 בפבר׳ 2018 ב-21:21 מאת Robbie Harwood <[hidden email]